Chapter 2: Adventures in the ER

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

So...Chapter Two isn't as exciting as Chapter one...but nonetheless it happened.

OK, birth as you can see was quite the roller coaster ride. While it was great, it also was kinda scary. Especially for those around me. Apparently I like to have people on their toes because the drama continued....

Around a week and a half into Kaitlyn's beautiful time here on Earth, I had been struggling with the whole breastfeeding thing. It's painful and I was in much pain and going through much frustration and sadness because I wanted to breastfeed her so badly. One night...or I should say morning since it was after midnight, I felt like I was coming down with something. I had body pains through the day but didn't think too much of it. That night I got the worst chills I had ever had in my life. Skip tried to warm me up with his body heat which usually works, but I just kept shivering uncontrollably. I thought, maybe if I take a warm shower that would help. I could hardly stand at that point and I had to then lie down in the tub as the hot water hit me. Things got worse from there. The tub slowly filled with water and I was still shaking, could hardly breathe and had horrible body pain. My boobs hurt and I didn't want to be touched. Skip woke Mom and I started to sorta pass out again. We called Jackie and she suggested we call an ambulance.

In come the Paramedics (and a fire truck...and my neighbors appeared outside...how embarassing). They took me into the ambulance (One of them was called Reese....can you believe that???), and drove me to the hospital. They (and Mom) kept saying that I was having an anxiety attack. They shut up about that when I reached the hospital and they took my temperature which was 103 F. Guess that was out of the question. Ha!

I was poked and proded...x-rayed, cathetered, and frozen some more. In the end it turned out that I was suffering from Mastitis. That is an infection in the boob for those who don't know. It's painful and a pain in the ass. They also told me my hemoglobin was on the floor (big surprise there doc....I lost a ton of blood a few days back!) He he!

Luckily this wasn't a long stay at the hospital. Just a few hours. I was a mess though. The next few days were blurry since I still had a high fever. I basically was once more...bed ridden and asleep most of the time. And the worst part was that I still had a hard time breastfeeding! So I pumped most of the time. Don't worry..there is a light at the end of the tunnel....but that's another chapter!

This is why lot's of you haven't heard from me latley. I've just been trying to concentrate on getting better and getting to know Kaitlyn and feeding, caring, discovering new things about her. I guess you could say, I'm nesting. So please be patient, I will come around. :) I miss my groups and socializing, but right now my focus is my daughter and what a treasure she is.

With that said...I will bring you into the next chapter....

Visitors check in and out of Chateou di Haberlack

0 comments: